It ’ sulfur important to find a unique name since every year there are over 3,000 cases of hallmark violation lawsuits and costs US companies over $ 250 Billion dollars .
In this article, you will learn the steps to find your occupation name is not competing with anyone and how to get it file. If you need some avail coming up with a good name for your company we will show you how to pick a capital identify .
once you have a name, Broadly can help you take the next steps by setting up a occupation web site, software to manage your leads, and tools to monitor your on-line repute and gaining on-line reviews.
Definitions of Business Types
Before we dive into the steps on how to find your business name, let ’ s define some of the terms that we will be discussing to avoid confusion .
- DBA – Refers to “Doing Business As” and is required to be filled out at a bank if you are setting up an account for your business. This type of business organization does not offer protection from organizations coming after your personal assets.
- Sole Proprietorship – Where one person is the owner, and there is no legal or financial distinction between owner and business.
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) or Corporation – This is a blend of corporations and partnerships with less regulation, and no one person is at risk for the business.
- Nonprofit Organization – These companies are tax exempt, and all money earned is put right back into the company.
- Trademark – Are words or symbols legally registered to represent a company or product. Think about the Nike Swoosh or McDonald’s M logo which are both trademarks.
Step 1: Check Your Favorite Search Engine
The quickest and easiest way to check electric potential name handiness is to merely go to your darling search engine ( like Google ) and do an on-line business mention search. You can check this appoint with a .com, or .org on the end to see if any business entity comes up or if there is a alike name out there that would be competing with your brand .
For example: You credibly don ’ metric ton want to call your business “ Apple Plumbing ” because as you see in the prototype below there are literally dozens of plumbing companies with that name. Be aware, even if your stigmatize list looks available with an on-line research, you still need to do the remaining steps in this article. A rival could be in the process of completing its unregistered occupation name. It ’ s better to find out now that your stigmatize mention is not available before paying money for a business name you can ’ triiodothyronine use .
Step 2: Check To See If The Name Has A Trademark
You will besides want to do a trademark search to see if anyone is registered in the nation for that lapp identify. To do this, just go down to your county salesclerk ’ s office and see if the list is registered or on a list of fabricated names for businesses ( in a few states, there is a statewide assumed business names database that your county clerk can find and inform you ) .
You should besides check the U.S. patent and hallmark function just in case there are any brand misdemeanor rights being violated. Getting pinged for intellectual property larceny for your ship’s company mention is a certain way to get shut down .
After that, you are good to go !
Read more: A step-by-step guide to identity theft
Step 3 How To Check LLC Registry
An LLC is a blend of companies and partnerships that are registered on a state level. many LLCs do not have trademarks so it ’ mho significant to check this on-line a well. To do so, visit your submit ’ south secretary of state ’ s web site, and research for the name. For model, Florida ’ s Division of corporations can well be checked by diagnose, with other search options if needed .
Step 4. Registering Your Business Name
Lucky you ! Let ’ s get things registered !
It ’ s a good mind to patent and trademarks your business so no one can take your big ideas from you. Use the USPTO ’ s free trademark database and to get yours registered .
Simply go to http : //www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm and click “ Search. ” then follow the instructions you see on the screen .
What To Do If Your Brand Name Is Taken?
This can be actually frustrating. You have the perfect name that captures your product or service but person else is already using it ! Don ’ metric ton stress ! There are actually multiple things you can do .
Check out Brand Bucket where you can get check out brandable domains that are available for sale .
You can besides check on some different websites like GoDaddy.com, or Namecheap to see if there is a different variation of your name available. They can come up with some actually great domain estimate names and you will instantaneously know if they can be used as a caller domain mention .
Try to stick with a .com as it looks more professional and most people assume that your web site will be your name followed by the .com.
Read more: 8 Top Dividend Index Funds | The Motley Fool
What Makes A Good Brand Name?
Choosing a brand name can actually set you up for success. here are a few things to remember when choosing a name for your ship’s company .
- Simple – The simpler the better! Think about the computer brand “Apple.” Simple, easy to recognize brand name.
- Short – A long name will be harder to remember. Entering a long domain name could be an obstacle for people to come to your website.
- Memorable – Give them something to remember. Marketing is a tricky game. You need to make a quick impression before people move on.
- Pronounceable – Having a difficult or unknown word as a domain could confuse customers.
- Clever – If you can create a domain that can impress people with the cleverness, they will be more likely to remember and see what you are about!
- Easy spelling – People might remember your brand, but if they can’t remember how to spell it, they might never end up on your website!
- Relevant – Ensure the name is related to your services. Businesses with their core service or services in their business name have a much easier time ranking well on search engines like Google. If you’re a carpet cleaning company, consider a name like “Jeff Thompson Carpet Cleaning” instead of “Jeff’s Carpet.” If you’re a power washing company, consider a name like “Bluebird Power Washing” instead of “Bluebird Solutions.” Additionally, by including your core service in your business name, potential clients will know exactly what your main service is before they give you a call or visit your website.
Doing some homework before deciding on a brand name will save you a possible future concern. It ’ s worth the clock time and attention. Be detail with what you choose as a name because it can have a positive or minus shock on customers. once chosen, make sure you protect your company name with patents and registering your business with a brand. The future steps are gaining leads and watching your occupation grow !