- You can try to get serve find policy information from the dead person ’ mho insurance company or fiscal and legal advisors .
- on-line tools, such as NAIC ’ s Life Insurance Policy Locator Service, can help you track down a lacking policy .
- The die ’ s employer can help you with future steps if the life policy was share of an employer-sponsored group policy .
How to find a lost life insurance policy
It can take some dig, but the policy document will have all the information you need to file a life insurance claim, including :
- identify and contact information of the insurance company
- policy issue
- name of beneficiary or beneficiaries
- Death benefit amount
If you know you ’ re the beneficiary of a life insurance policy but don ’ metric ton have a copy of it, there are a few ways to find a lose policy : If you know which life policy caller issued the policy, contact it directly. Be prepared to prove that you are the beneficiary listed ( normally with ID such as your driver ’ s license act or SSN ) and have the death security available to prove that the insure person is deceased. ready to shop for life policy ? Start calculator The National Association of Insurance Commissioners ( NAIC ) and some country indemnity departments offer release tools to help anyone search for unclaimed life insurance policies .
- Department of Insurance ( DOI ) : Some states let you search for a policy through their DOI site. They besides list department contact information if you want to talk to person directly .
- Life Insurance Policy Locator Service : This search tool finds a life policy policy with information like your address, relationship to the deceased, and the die ’ s Social Security number, then asks insurers nationally to search their records for matching policies .
- MissingMoney.com : This locate endorsed by the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators ( NAUPA ) aggregates state records of unclaimed funds .
- NAUPA : NAUPA ’ s own search cock allows you to search for unclaimed money by state of matter .
It may take some time to hear back — NAIC notes that it could take up to 90 business days for insurers to respond to a request — you ’ ll be contacted directly if you are a benefactive role or otherwise authorized to get information about the neglect policy. [ 1 ]
Anyone who advised the deceased on fiscal matters or helped them manage their estate — such as an accountant, lawyer, fiscal planner, banker, or business partner — might be able to track down their policy policy or at least tell you which caller they purchased the policy from. If the deceased purchased home insurance or car insurance through an insurance agent, the agent may know whether they had early policy policies .
Search for a physical copy
If you ’ re allowed to access the dead person ’ s personal effects, check plug condom and common repositing areas for a copy of the policy or symmetry from their insurance party. Keep in beware that term life insurance policies can last a long as 30 years and whole life insurance policies last the entire life of the guarantee. You may have to check files that are respective years honest-to-god to find policy data. If the policyholder has stored the document in a dependable deposit box at their bank, you ’ ll need to get a motor hotel order to prove that they have died and that you ’ re allowed to access the safe deposit box ’ second contents. The executor of the asleep ’ sulfur estate should besides be able to access the safe deposit box .
Search digital storage
If you shared any digital storehouse with the dead person, or they had an external hard drive, you might be able to find the policy saved there. unfortunately, if the policy is on a device in an bill that ’ sulfur password-protected or encrypted, it will be hard to retrieve. You might be able to get access by presenting the company that owns the account with a court order, but they might reject your request .
Other ways to search for a life insurance policy
If you ’ ra uncertain whether your loved one had an existing life policy policy at all, there are a few places you can look for confirmation :
- banking records : It ’ s likely the deceased was still paying for their policy before they died, in which case you might find withdrawals for premiums in their fiscal statements .
- employer : If the deceased was employed when they died, they might have had subsidized group life insurance. Their former employer should be able to help .
- fiscal adviser or lawyer : Your loved one may have met with a master to create a will or make other end-of-life plans. They should be mindful of any existing coverage .
- Member organizations : If your loved one was separate of a union, veterans group, or other organization, they may have gotten life policy through the organization .
even if you ’ re not able to verify whether your loved one had a policy, you can however use the life indemnity policy search options above .
How to find out if you’re a life insurance beneficiary
It ’ sulfur not rare for people to have no theme they ’ re the beneficiary of person ’ s life sentence indemnity policy. Policies can last for decades, and benefactive role designations can change over the course of person ’ second life sentence. If person died and you ’ re uncertain who their beneficiaries were, it ’ south worth searching for their policy to ensure you ’ rhenium not leaving a profit unclaimed .
The death master file
In rare cases, the insurance party may let you know you ’ re a beneficiary. many insurers regularly compare their records against the Social Security Administration ’ s Death Master File, which records deaths of Social Security number holders that are reported to the SSA by funeral homes or loved ones. If an insurance company finds a policy that ’ mho unclaimed it will mail claim forms to any beneficiaries. however, it can take a long time for insurers to complete this process, so it ’ randomness constantly good to initiate a title yourself. Looking for a doomed life insurance policy while grieving a love one can be difficult. An on-line policy locator or getting help from the asleep ’ south fiscal advisors can make the process easy. → Learn more about how life indemnity works
Frequently asked questions
How do I find out if a life insurance policy exists?
You can find out if person had a policy by using on-line research tools, contacting their fiscal or legal advisors, or checking the asleep ’ sulfur records.
Read more: A step-by-step guide to identity theft
Are life insurance policies public record?
Life policy policies are not normally public record, but they can be found on sites that sum records of unclaimed money in each state .
Who can claim a lost life insurance policy?
entirely beneficiaries can claim the death benefit of a biography insurance policy. If no beneficiaries are living, the proceeds go through probate .
Do life insurance companies contact beneficiaries after a death?
A policyholder ’ randomness insurance company may finally reach out if you ’ rhenium named on an unclaimed policy, but it ’ s much faster if you file a title yourself .