Below is all the information you need to know about United Airlines ’ cancellation policy and learn which policies apply to your situation .
United Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
What is United Airlines ’ cancellation policy for unblock cancellations ?
An overview of United Airlines cancellations is provided below.
- Regardless of the fare, you can cancel your reservation up to 24 hours from the time of booking without being charged a cancellation fee—provided you made the booking 1 week or more before departure.
- If your United Airlines flight is suddenly cancelled, you have the option to:
- Cancel your flight without penalty and request a refund, or
- Take the alternate flight offered by the airline, or
- Postpone your travel a receive a travel credit
You may besides be entitled to trajectory cancellation recompense benefits .
- If your United Airlines flight departing from the European Union, Norway, Iceland, or Switzerland is:
- Delayed by 5 hours or more, you can cancel your flight without penalty and request a refund (plus compensation).
- Delayed by 3 hours or more, you are entitled to compensation if the cause of the delay was within the control of United Airlines.
- All types of tickets are eligible for cancellations and refunds in case of death, certain types of illnesses, and jury duty. This includes tickets purchased by cash/check/credit card, award tickets, as well as promotional fares, bulk fares, and net fares.
- Basic Economy tickets cannot be cancelled, but qualify for a full refund inside the 24-hour window provided you purchased the ticket 1 week or more before the flight’s scheduled departure date.
- United Airlines cancellation policies will depend on your billing address, as different policies apply for France, Columbia, Argentina, and Taiwan.
- You may also be eligible to claim a refund on a travel credit issued for a flight that was disrupted between March 1, 2020, and June 6, 2020. To ask for a refund, you must fill out this refund form.
- Partially used tickets will only be refunded if they qualify for a refund. The refund will be on a prorated basis based on the rules that apply to the ticket and the segments flown.
- The processing time for credit card refunds is 7 business days. Other refunds are typically processed within 20 business days.
- All refunds will be credited back to the original form of payment.
- If you want a refund on a ticket issued through a travel agency/third party, you must contact the agency directly.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to COVID-19
United Airlines flight cancellation policy due to COVID-19 allows applies to :
- Basic Economy tickets booked till April 30, and
- Premium Cabin and Standard Economy tickets booked between April 1, and May 31.
Under the loosen policy, you are allowed to cancel your existing flight and change or postpone it for up to 12 months from the original go steady of issue of your ticket without being charged a change fee .
United Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
How United Airlines free cancellation works
United Airlines ’ 24-hour cancellation policy allows entire refunds on tickets cancelled within 24 hours of buy, angstrom long as the booking was made at least 7 days before the travel date. This applies to all types of reservations—including Basic Economy tickets .
After you cancel your ticket within the 24-hour window, your refund will be credited via your original payment method .
- If you booked with a United Gift Certificate, you will receive your refund as an electronic travel certificate.
- Tickets booked with e-certificates don’t qualify for refunds.
- If you held your reservation with FareLock, the reservation fee will not be refunded.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to Death, Illness, or Jury Duty
The United Airlines ticket cancellation policy allows full moon refunds in subject of death ( of the passenger or a close relative ), certain kinds of illnesses, and jury duty. The policy covers all types of tickets, including those purchased by cash, credit batting order, or check, ampere well as award tickets, promo fares, bulk fares, and net fares .
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for Basic Economy Tickets
According to United Airlines ticket cancellation policy, Basic Economy tickets can not be refunded unless they are cancelled within the 24-hour window, and the buy was made a workweek or more before passing .
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets
If you cancel a non-refundable ticket more than 24 hours after purchasing it, you will have to pay a cancellation fee of USD 200 on a domestic flight and up to USD 400 for an international flight depending on your change of location class .
United Airlines escape cancellation policy states that after your cancellation tip is deducted, the idle value of your ticket can be applied late toward future change of location, ampere hanker as :
- You cancel your original ticket before the first flight departs
- Your trip begins within 1 year from the date of issue of the original ticket
Tip. You can refund a non-refundable ticket merely in the watch cases :
- If the passenger or co-passenger dies
- Receipt of military/jury duty orders by the passenger
You must be able to provide supporting documentation to prove the reason for the cancellation .
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for Refundable Tickets
If you ’ ve booked a refundable slate, you can cancel any time before your flight departs. The refund will be credited to your original shape of payment. According to United Airlines trajectory cancellation policy, payments made by credit cards are typically processed within 7 business days ( and appear on your argument within 1–2 placard cycles ), and other payments can take up to 20 business days .
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for Award Tickets
United Airlines ’ cancellation policy for award tickets works a little differently, as shown below .
|United Airlines Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets|
|Cancellation Fee||General||Premier Silver||Premier Gold||Premier Platinum||Premier 1K|
|31 or more days before departure||USD 0||USD 0||USD 0||USD 0||USD 0|
|Cancelling a U.S. flight 0–30 days before departure||USD 125||USD 100||USD 75||USD 50||USD 0|
|Cancelling an international flight not originating in the U.S. 0–30 days before departure||USD 125||USD 100||USD 75||USD 50||USD 0|
|No-Show||USD 125||USD 125||USD 125||USD 125||USD 125|
United Airlines ’ cancellation fee for award tickets will depend on your membership condition .
- United Airlines cancellation fee for award flight cancellations made at least 31 days before departure is:
- USD 0 for general members
- USD 0 for Silver members
- USD 0 for Gold members
- USD 0 for Premier Platinum and 1K members
- United Airlines cancellation fee for award flight cancellations made 0 – 30 days before departure is:
- USD 125 for general members
- USD 100 for Silver members
- USD 75 for Gold members
- USD 50 for Premier Platinum members
- USD 0 for Premier 1K members.
- United Airlines’ cancellation fee for a No-Show is USD 125, regardless of your membership level.
- The same-day change fee for award tickets is USD 75 for Silver and general members, and USD 0 for Gold, Platinum, and 1K members.
United Airlines Cancellations—How to Cancel a United Airlines Flight
United Airlines cancellations can be made by earphone ( +1-866-399-0587 ), on-line, or through your travel agentive role. If you had booked your ticket through an on-line travel agency ( OTA ), you will need to contact them directly for cancellation.
If you had booked your flight directly from United, you can cancel your fledge reservation online as explained below .
A screenshot of United Airlines My trips tab ( used for cancelling a flight )
- Go to United.com
- Click on the My Trips tab
- Access your trip by entering your:
- Confirmation number
- Last name
- Click on the Search button
- Choose the flight/trip you wish to cancel
- After selecting the trip/flight you wish to cancel, select the Cancel flight option
- On the next screen, you will be asked to confirm whether you want to cancel your booking. Once you click on the Confirm option, your booking will be officially cancelled.
You ’ ll receive an eCredit for the funds after the cancellation fee is deducted.
If you can ’ metric ton access your reservation on-line, you must call the third party ( OTA or travel agent ) you booked your tag through to cancel your flight .
United Airlines Cancellation Refund
Am I eligible for a refund on United Airlines ?
- Per United Airlines’ 24-hour flexible booking policy, you can get a full refund on your booking if:
- You cancel within 24 hours of booking.
- You made your booking at least 7 days before your flight’s departure.
- To check the status of your refund:
- Visit the refunds page (see below).
- Click on the Check status tab on the right
- Enter your:
- Last name
- Ticket, document, or tracking number
- Click on the Check status button
Your refund condition will appear .
- If your ticket qualifies for a refund and you purchased directly from United, you can cancel it online via My Trips and receive a refund.
- Refund policies will vary based on your billing address country or region, and a cancellation fee may apply.
- Most fares are non-refundable, but your ticket value may be adjusted (if eligible) toward a new ticket on a chargeable basis.
- Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issue—but tickets purchased between May 1, and March 31, are valid till March 31. You must begin your travel by March 31, and complete it within 12 months of the travel date.
- The typical refund time is as follows:
- Credit card refunds Within 7 business days after your request
- Other refunds Within 20 business days of your request
- All refunds will be credited back to the original form of payment.
United Airlines Refund Policy
According to United Airlines refund policy :
- If you purchase a ticket at least 1 week before departure and cancel within 24 hours of purchase, no cancellation fee will apply and you will get a full refund.
- Basic Economy tickets cannot be refunded outside of the 24-hour window. This means you must have purchased your ticket at least 7 days before departure and cancelled it within 24 hours of purchase.
- Eligible tickets can be cancelled by phone or online via My trips.
- The cancellation fee will depend on the fare rules of your ticket.
- Non-refundable fares may not qualify for voluntary refunds but the value of your ticket may be converted into a Future Flight Credit for a fee.
- Flight tickets have a 12-month validity from the day of issue. However, the validity of tickets purchased on or before December 31, 2021, has been extended to December 31, 2022. This means your travel must begin no later than December 31, 2022, and be completed within 12 months from the date of outbound travel.
- The amount of refund will depend on multiple factors. The refund amount for partially used tickets will be calculated on a prorated basis, subject to the rules of the ticket and segments flown. Surcharges and fees collected for the ticket will be refunded only if the rules permit.
- Refunds for purchases made by credit card will be processed within 7 business days of your request. Other refunds will be processed within 20 business days of your request.
- All refunds will be credited back to the original form of payment.
- To check the status of your refund request, go to the refunds page and select the Check status tab.
- Refund policies for certain international regions are as follows:
- Unless you’ve purchased a refundable ticket, all tickets are non-refundable.
- Under the Right of Withdrawal, you are allowed to cancel your ticket (except promotional fares) up to 24 hours before departure. However, United Airlines may refund 90% of your fare and keep 10% of it.
- Right of Retraction: If you purchase your ticket directly from United Airlines (website or call center), you are allowed to cancel your booking within 48 hours after purchasing and request a refund provided you cancel at least 15 days before your flight’s departure. If you cancel your booking, United Airlines may keep up to 10% of your fare or USD 50, plus service charges and non-refundable taxes.
- If your ticket is no longer valid and you have not flown, you must fill out a refund request form for reimbursement of fees and taxes. You will receive your dues within 30 days without being charged an administrative fee if you provide your email address to United.
- Taiwan’s 7-day refund facility offered to consumers under Taiwan’s Consumer Protection Act (Article 19) does not apply.
How to Get a Refund for a Cancelled Flight
After cancelling your flight, you can ask for a refund as follows :
- Fill out the United Airlines refund form.
- United Airlines will let you know if you qualify for a refund.
The refund total will depend on your fare type and the cause for cancelling your flight. In some cases, the refund will be credited to your original shape of payment, and in other cases, you may receive a flight credit .
How to Avoid Cancellation Fee on United Airlines
- Cancel within the 24-hour grace period. If you book your ticket at least 7 days before your flight’s departure and cancel it less than 24 hours later, you can cancel your ticket without penalty. You will receive the refund to your original form of payment. However, this does not include group tickets and tickets purchased with an e-certificate.
- If your flight is delayed by 6 hours or more, you may be eligible to claim a refund in the form of a travel credit. If you don’t use the credit within 1 year, you can ask United for a refund to your original form of payment.
- If your flight is cancelled outright, either due to low demand, weather, or other problems, you may qualify for a full refund of your ticket.
- Earn Elite status. If you’re holding Premier Gold or higher status, you can cancel an award ticket for free any time before your flight’s departure.
- If you cancel your flight due to an unavoidable emergency, such as the death of a co-passenger, a sudden military or jury duty order, you may qualify for a refund.
How to Use Credits from Cancelled Flights
Can you tell me about United Airlines ’ credit for cancel flights ?
United Airlines offers 3 types of credits :
- Electronic Travel Credits (ETCs)
- Future Flight Credits
- United TravelBank Credits
entirely the first two credits ( ETCs and Future Flight Credits ) can accrue from cancelling a fledge or a service, whereas United TravelBank Credits can be purchased to boost the balance with the now-discontinued United TravelBank Card .
Electronic Travel Credits (ETCs). ETCs are valid for 24 months from the date of exit. You can use your ETCs for future travel by phone ( 1-866-399-0587 ) or on-line. To access your ETCs on-line, log into your MileagePlus account via My account .
You can redeem your ETCs ( up to 10 together, multiple times ), including for partner-operated travels if at least one section in your travel guidebook is operated by United Airlines/United Express. After you select a stipulate fledge and proceed with your booking up to the payments page, you ’ ll find the choice to redeem your ETCs on it. If the cost of your new flight is less than the value of your ETCs, the balance will remain in your history for future manipulation. If the cost of your flight is more than the value of ETCs, you can pay the remainder with your credit menu .
If you ’ ra redeeming your ETCs by earphone, call 1-866-399-0587 and ask the United Airlines agent to combine your ETCs when booking your new travel plan .
- The date of expiration of your ETC will be updated to 24 months from the date of issue of the oldest ETC and not 24 months from the date of combining your ETCs.
- The expiration date of ETCs expiring before Dec. 31, 2022, has been extended to December 31, 2022.
Future Flight Credits. Future Flight Credits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. You can use them to pay for partner flights booked through United Airlines, evening they don ’ thyroxine include a United Airlines flight on the like fledge book. You can do this over the phone ( 1-866-399-0587 ) or on-line via United.com .
- The expiration date of future flight credits valid till December 31, 2021, has been extended till December 31, 2022.
United TravelBank Credits. United Airlines ’ TravelBank Credits are valid for 5 years and can be purchased directly from United. These credits are not issued after flight cancellation or complaints but allow you to boost your credit balance with the United TravelBank Card, now discontinued. You can redeem TravelBank credits for United Airlines and United Express flights, but can ’ triiodothyronine combine them with the other two credits, i.e., ETCs or Future Flight Credits. however, since they ’ ra valid for 5 years, you should use up your other credits before touching your TravelBank credits .