Shopify is the second most popular eCommerce store builder in the earth, chiefly due to its gloomy barrier to entry. If you ’ rhenium looking for an in-depth explanation of what Shopify is and how to use Shopify for your business, look no far. We ’ ll walk you through the ways to sell on Shopify in person and on-line, the pros and cons of the chopine, and how to start selling with Shopify nowadays.
What Is Shopify ?
Shopify is a subscription-based eCommerce chopine that helps businesses of all sizes sell physical and digital products. You can build a Shopify store or sell through an existing web site. You can besides sell through social media, guest blog posts, emails, and in-person with a Shopify buy button .
How Much Does Shopify Cost?
- Shopify Lite: $9/month, includes Shopify buy button, not an online store builder
- Basic Shopify: $29/month, includes buy button, in-person selling, and online store with two staff accounts, up to four inventory locations (in-person stores, warehouses, etc.)
- Shopify: $79/month, includes all selling channels, five staff accounts, up to five inventory locations, discounted credit card rates, and discounted transaction fees
- Advanced Shopify: $299/month, includes all selling channels, 15 staff accounts, up to eight inventory locations, further discounted credit card and transaction fees, duties and import collections, custom international product pricing/variants
- Shopify Plus: Ask for pricing
What Is Shopify Lite?
Designed for sellers who don ’ thyroxine want or need a full on-line store, Shopify Lite is an eCommerce tool that lets you add a sales element to about anywhere, including :
- Social media posts on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and TikTok
- A website you currently own powered by a web builder like WordPress, Squarespace, or Wix
- Someone else’s website
- Marketing emails
- Landing pages
- Direct messages
But that ’ s not all you get from a Shopify Lite account. You ’ ll besides be able to accept citation card payments or create invoices for sweeping, phone, or custom orders. You can flush use Shopify ’ s indicate of sale ( POS ) app to accept payments in person using your io or Android device .
Read our full Shopify Lite review for more information on how this subscription can fit in with your eCommerce sales scheme .
What Is Shopify Plus?
large businesses — those with over $ 500,000 in sales each class — may want to make their on-line base with Shopify Plus. The Plus plan is Shopify ’ s enterprise-level design, and it comes with a price tag of $ 2,000 per calendar month, or, once you make over $ 800K in sales every month, a monthly fee of 0.25 % of sales volume .
Like all versions of Shopify, Shopify Plus is elegant, childlike, and easy to use, although this top-tier interpretation comes loaded with impressive features, such as inexhaustible betray capacity and special tools like Shopify Flow for automation. It is designed for wholesale and ball-shaped sales. Shopify offers Plus plan members guaranteed priority customer overhaul .
Contact Shopify for pricing information for your clientele, and read our full Shopify Plus revue for more details .
What Can I Sell On Shopify?
Shopify users can sell about any physical products, digital products, or drop-shipped products. Shopify merchants sell a across-the-board variety of products, including :
- Handcrafted goods
- Beauty supplies
- Home goods
- Outdoors gear
- Digital products
- Online classes
- Gift Cards
There are merely hard and fast rules when it comes to using Shopify. You can ’ thyroxine sell anything illegal. You besides can ’ thymine sell anything prohibited by the eCommerce platform, which includes : alcohol, tobacco and e-cigarettes, fireworks, drugs, video recording game currency or credits, firearms, and weapons .
This list of eject products is subject to change. For model, over the past class, the policy regarding CBD products was updated and Shopify immediately allows sales of CBD products legitimately derived from cannabis .
check for the latest news program on restrictions before you start building your Shopify shop .
How Does Shopify Work To Sell In-Person & Online ?
There are an impressive count of ways to sell using Shopify, unmatched by most eCommerce platforms .
You can use Shopify to :
Create An eCommerce Website & Sell Online
Shopify is a cloud-based software. That means that you can set up a officiate web site with vane host, your own domain name, an inventory management system, and shipping functionalities all through Shopify .
Choose a sleek template, use a simple ocular drag-and-drop editor to customize your storehouse, add your forcible or digital inventory, and launch your web site. There is no code or complex decision-making involved in creating your store .
If you want to add more specific features to your shop, like e-mail market tools or buy-now-pay-later apps, Shopify ’ s app shop has over 4,200 apps that require no gull to install. Depending on the level of complexity and stylizing you want your web site to have, you could build a live on-line memory in vitamin a little as 30 minutes .
Sell In Person In Your Store, Pop-up Shop, Or On The Go
The Shopify POS ( point of sale ) app allows you to sell in person with consecrated Shopify POS hardware, an iPad or pill, or tied your mobile device .
You don ’ t even need an on-line store to sell in person. The Shopify Lite plan comes with Shopify POS Lite for spare !
Sell Both Online & In-Person
People who want to sell on-line and in-person, like retail store owners or nonprofits who want to take donations at events and on-line, can do sol with Shopify. Build your own web site, then sync your shop and POS app together. You can monitor your gross and stock levels ( if applicable ) in real-time .
Use Shopify To Sell On Social Media
With a Shopify buy button or Shopify social media integrations, you can sell on so many platforms. These are precisely a few social media platforms that you can sell on with Shopify :
- Facebook Messenger
Your customers can shop without having to leave the social media platform they ’ re on, which will help you boost sales conversions .
here ’ s a immediate guide on how to make Instagram posts shoppable and how to sell on TikTok with Shopify, so you can get an theme of how to use Shopify to sell on social media .
Use Shopify For Omnichannel Selling
You can besides connect Shopify to sales channels like Amazon Marketplace, Etsy, Walmart Marketplace, eBay, and Google Shopping to create an omnichannel sell scheme.
All you have to do is connect your Shopify store with your seller accounts on unlike shop platforms and you can sell from respective places online .
What Are The Pros & Cons Of Shopify ?
As you may expect, while Shopify is an excellent choice for many merchants, it isn ’ metric ton for everyone. here ’ s a abbreviated list of the reasons merchants choose Shopify, followed by a list of common customer complaints :
- Easy To Use: This is by far the biggest reason merchants love Shopify. Shopify is built for the average user, not skilled developers. It’s simple to add products, create discounts, and process orders. Web design is user-friendly and even easy with Shopify’s drag-and-drop editing tool.
- Low Startup Cost: Shopify’s relatively low monthly fees make setup affordable. The basic plan costs $29/month, and the mid-level plan is priced at $79/month. If you don’t need a whole online store, pay only $9/month for a buy button you can use anywhere online.
- Beautiful Themes: Subscribing merchants can choose from a variety of free, mobile-responsive themes. Premium (paid) themes are also available for merchants who want more options.
- Good For Dropshipping: Shopify is the platform of choice for many dropshippers. Shopify’s dropshipping integrations with top names like Spocket and Oberlo make dropshipping from your Shopify admin a lot simpler.
- Lots Of Support Options: You can access technical support every hour of the day through phone, live chat, and email. Self-help options are available as well. Customers like that Shopify’s support is available outside of regular business hours.
- Costly Add-Ons: While Shopify offers almost every basic feature, the software is lacking many advanced features. You will have to find these features in the form of add-ons, also known as apps, which are not free. Adding three apps alone could double the monthly fees.
- Transaction Fees: Although most shopping carts have dropped their transaction fees entirely, Shopify has retained its 0.5% to 2.0% fees (depending on your pricing plan). You do have the option to have Shopify waive these fees when you accept payments through Shopify Payments. However, Shopify Payments has its fair share of complaints, and it may not be the best payment processor for everyone.
- Strained Customer Support: While Shopify has been known for responsive customer support in the past, more recent customer reviews voice mixed reports on the support team. Some users are impressed by the support they received, while others complain that Shopify support representatives were not able to help them resolve their issue.
Using templates to build your patronize is only the begin if you want to have a profitable on-line presence. For a amply formed sell scheme, consider the follow factors :
- Marketing: Social media is only one form of marketing. Don’t forget about email, SMS, and different forms of content marketing such as blogging.
- SEO: To optimize your website and rank higher in search engine results, improve your website’s speed, navigation, and structured data.
- Conversion: Most of the time, getting users to view your products isn’t enough. Offer personalized discounts, hold sales, create loyalty programs, and send abandoned cart emails to entice people to buy.
- Accounting: If you don’t keep track of how much you’re making, then you won’t know how to improve your selling strategy. Choose an accounting solution that’s easy enough to use while capturing all the data you need.
- Customer Service: Keep your customers in the loop. Set up quick email responses and chatbots, make returns easy, and allow customers to track their orders.
- Shipping: Use Shopify to compare shipping carriers, get shipping discounts, purchase shipping labels, and fulfill orders from different warehouse locations (if applicable.)
- Reporting: When you create ad campaigns, offer sales, change up your product offering, expand to a new selling channel, or do anything else that may impact your store, use reporting tools to analyze how these changes impact your site.
Shopify ’ s app store has all the tools you need to create your perfect sell and store management strategy. fair be choosy when you ’ re picking out apps. Add excessively many and you ’ ll find your monthly subscription bills rocket .
For more on optimizing your web site for users and search engine robots, read our post on how to improve your business web site .
How To Start Selling On Shopify With A Shopify Free Trial
If you ’ re considering Shopify, take the first step to get started and sign up for the 14-day free test. You won ’ triiodothyronine have to enter any credit wag information to entree the test. You equitable need to submit contact information and answer a few questions about your business .
During your trial, make sure to test every expression of Shopify ’ sulfur software .
Add products, create selling campaigns, change your shopfront design, and add on an app or two. The samara here is to make surely Shopify can handle all of your daily operations. Look for any progress features you may need, such as filter search, abandoned handcart notifications, and pop-up book promos, so you can see how those extra expenses will fit into your budget .
once you ’ re indisputable Shopify is the properly choice for you, choose your appropriate price plan and read our bit-by-bit scout on how to set up a Shopify memory and start selling on-line .
What is Shopify ? Shopify is an across-the-board cloud-based betray platform with a monthly subscription. It ’ randomness easy to use and comes without much of a memorize curve, making Shopify an excellent solution for many merchants looking for an easy way to start or grow on-line sales .
Is Shopify better than Amazon ? Amazon is a huge marketplace that may help you gain a set of exposure, but Amazon ’ s seller fees and acute seller contest may push people towards building their own on-line store using Shopify .
however, you don ’ t have to choose between the two ! barely link your Shopify shop to your Amazon seller history and sell from both places .
How much is Shopify ? Shopify price includes three democratic plans : Basic Shopify, for $ 29/month ; Shopify, for $ 79/month ; and Advanced Shopify, for $ 299/month .
There ’ randomness besides Shopify Lite, for $ 9/month, if you want to be able to sell without opening an on-line store.
Read more: How to invest in the S&P 500 from Australia
very bombastic eCommerce operations may want to choose another plan, Shopify Plus, which starts at $ 2,000/month .
Final Thoughts On Shopify For Sellers
Shopify is an excellent shop cart for many on-line sellers. Its easy-to-use interface, reasonable price model, and beautiful themes make it one of our favored eCommerce solutions, and we recommend it frequently to readers .
But as constantly, continue your inquiry before you commit to the software and read our wide Shopify review for complete information on the pros and cons of the platform. then, sign up for a free trial to test out the software yourself. Your own experience with the software is more valuable than any advice you ’ ll find on-line .