But lots of people are uncertain about precisely what ’ s included in a car service and how much it ’ ll cost. We ’ ll aid you know what to expect and give you tips on dealing with your garage .
What is a car service?
A cable car service is when you take your car to a garage for a routine crack up. A mechanic will look at your car ’ sulfur condition and check parts for wear and tear, like brakes, oil, filters and engine belt .
It ’ mho common for the garage to replace your petroleum filter as depart of the avail. They may recommend that you replace early cable car parts excessively. That way, getting your cable car serviced can help you spot any issues and fix them before they cause a breakdown.
even service besides helps to prolong the biography of your car. A complete serve history can even help with the resale value of your car as it shows that it ‘s been well looked after .
Is a service different to an MOT?
Yes – a service is different to your MOT. It ’ s coarse to have both at the same clock time and many garages offer a box for your service and MOT. But they ’ re not the same thing :
- An MOT is an annual test to check your car’s safety and make sure it’s roadworthy.
- It’s a legal requirement to get it done if your car’s over 3 years old.
- You can’t drive your car without a valid MOT.
- A service isn’t a legal requirement.
- It looks at wear and tear on your car and is recommended to keep your car performing its best.
- The car manufacturer will detail which checks should be included in the service.
Book a service hassle-free at one of our approve garages
Book a overhaul
How often should you service your car?
Most modern cars will have a service index to remind you when your avail is due. This is likely to take into explanation the clock time and mileage since your last service .
Details of your car ’ sulfur recommended service schedule will be in the handbook. many manufacturer ’ south commend getting a service every 10,000 – 20,000 miles depending on the type of car you have .
Some garages sell their services based on a recommend period of fourth dimension or total of miles, such as :
- Interim service – After 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Full service – After 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Major service – After 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.
What’s included in a car service?
What ’ s included in a car service depends on the garage you go to and the type of service you pay for. Garages normally offer an interim service and a full car service. Some besides offer a major servicing .
All services will involve ocular checks to your car, like looking for wrong to your car ’ mho body or wheels. They ’ ll besides include manual of arms checks to things like your brakes and gearbox to make certain they ’ re working as they should .
If you have an electric or hybrid car, the checks will include your charging port, cables and connections .
Checks during a car service can include:
- Engine oil and oil filter
- Lights, tyres, bodywork and exhausts
- Brakes and steering
- Fluid and coolant levels
- Car battery
Your garage will replace certain wear car parts and fluids during your servicing. But how many surrogate parts and changes you get depends on the type of serve you book .
What are the different types of car service?
There are 3 main types of car service to choose from :
Interim car service
It ’ second recommended to get an interim service every 6 months or 6,000 miles that your cable car has driven – whichever comes oklahoman .
All services will include checking lights, brakes, tyres, steering, suspension and all fluid levels. An interim service might besides include :
- Oil change
- Oil filter replacement
- Inspect drive belt
Full car service
It ’ sulfur recommended to get a full servicing every 12 months or 12,000 miles – whichever comes sooner.
Read more: What Is A Good Credit Score? | Equifax®
A broad service will normally include everything that ’ mho in the interim service plus excess checks and changes. It could include up to 80 checks on your cable car. A broad avail might include :
- Fuel filter replacement (for diesel cars)
- Air cleaner replacement
- Alternator hose and vacuum hose inspection
- Parking brake shoes inspection
- Remove and rotate road wheels
Major car service
This might be recommended after 24 months or 24,000 miles. A major service normally includes all the checks and changes in the broad service, plus some extras. Changes to your car might include :
- Brake fluid replacement
- Odour and allergy filter replacement
- Spark plugs replacement
- Automatic transmission oil level inspection
- Test battery
How much does a car service cost?
The average price of a car service varies from garage to garage and depends on what character of the area you ’ re in .
Prices at independent garages will vary the most, while big chains like Kwik Fit and Halfords should charge a standard price .
- An interim service could cost around £75 – £125.
- A full service could cost £150+.
The cost of the service won ’ t include certain parts if they need replacing .
If you have AA breakdown blanket and need successor parts, you can get 10 % off in-store at Halfords .
When you use our Smart Care service, we take the harass out of booking your cable car into a garage. We ’ ll give you a competitive price and script you into your choice of an AA-approved garage. And if any work needs doing to your car, we ’ ll double-check the garage ’ randomness recommendations and get a fairly price for you .
Help with getting your car serviced at a garage:
How long does a car service take?
It ’ randomness best to ask the garage how long it ’ ll take at the prison term you book your serve. But as a uncut template :
- An interim service is less extensive and includes fewer checks on your car. It may take around 1 1/2 hours.
- A full service is a check of the whole car, so will take longer. It may take around 3 hours.
Depending on the garage, the serve could happen while you wait or you might need to drop your car off and pick it up later in the day .
When you choose Smart Care, we can pick up your cable car and drop it back off for you after it ’ sulfur been to the garage. It ’ s the hassle-free way to get a car service .
How can Smart Care help with servicing?
Smart Care is a hassle-free way to book a car service on-line. We make it immediate and easy to find a local garage you can trust from ones we ’ ve inspected ourselves. Book a time slot on-line and be confident that you ’ re getting a fair price .
If you have any questions about anything technical, we ’ re equitable a phone call away. Plus, all parts and labour come with a 12 calendar month guarantee .
Here’s how Smart Care works:
- Enter your number plate and postcode.
- Choose whether you want a service, MOT or a vehicle check.
- See set prices with no hidden fees from a choice of approved garages.
- Pick a date and time to drop off your vehicle at your chosen garage, or we can usually collect your vehicle from you.
- Put in your information, hand over your vehicle and you’re all set. We’ll work with the garage and only charge you once everything’s done.
Book a car serve with Smart Care .
How important is a car’s service history?
Making certain your car has a wide service history can help it to keep its value when you sell it. It ’ ll show it ’ s been well looked after and could help you get a better price for it.
A full avail history is besides something to look out for when you ’ re buying a secondhand car. Again, it shows you that the car ’ s been maintained. A miss military service history could mean there ’ s a problem in the car ’ sulfur past .
Whether the car has a service history or not, you can get a practice car fomite inspection for peace of mind .
Published: 24 July 2020 | Updated: 24 July 2020 | Author: The AA