Compare our top picks for Capital One credit cards
A closer look at our best Capital One credit cards
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards: Best for simple cash back
- What we love about the Capital One Quicksilver: It’s a simple cash back card with no annual fee that earns at least unlimited 1.5 percent back on all purchases.
- Who this card is good for: Cash back beginners. If you’re considering getting a rewards card, this is a great entry point to test the waters of cash back credit cards.
- Alternatives: The Citi® Double Cash card earns a little bit more cash back (1 percent when you use the card and 1 percent as you pay your bill) without an annual fee as well. If you’re a disciplined credit user who always pays their bill, this card could prove more rewarding.
Read our Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card review.
Jump back to offer details .
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best for dining and entertainment with no annual fee
- What we love about the SavorOne card: It has alluring rewards rates on dining and grocery stores (excluding Walmart and Target), along with select streaming services, making it an easy way to earn on food and your favorite TV shows.
- Who this card is good for: Homebody foodies and social butterflies. The 3 percent back on its food-related categories make it a lucrative card for both outgoing people and couch potatoes.
- Alternatives: If you’re a foodie who also loves traveling, then the American Express® Gold Card offers rewards on categories that you probably spend the most in. Just watch out for its annual fee.
Read our Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card review.
Jump back to offer details .
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Best for travel rewards
- What we love about the Venture Rewards card: Capital One’s transfer partners and this comparatively low annual fee make it a solid first choice for earning miles on everyday purchases. Plus, you can get statement credits for travel-related purchases made in the previous 90 days.
- Who this card is good for: Casual travelers since its 2X miles on everyday purchases in addition to its 5X miles on hotels and cars booked through Capital One Travel.
- Alternatives: The Venture Reward’s direct competitor, Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, offers similar rewards rates, annual fee and sign-up bonus, but higher points value when booking through the issuer’s travel portal. Choosing between the two will come down to comparing the issuers’ travel partners.
Read our Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card follow-up.
Jump back to offer details.
Capital One Platinum Credit Card: Best for limited credit history
- What we love about the Capital One Platinum: It has a relatively low recommended credit score requirement of 580 to 740 and an automatic credit line increase review after six months.
- Who this card is good for: The serious credit-builder who wants to improve their score with responsible use and healthy financial habits.
- Alternatives: If you want to earn modest rewards while you build credit, the Petal® 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card will let you do just that. Just keep in mind that the distraction of rewards could shift your focus from building credit.
Read our Capital One Platinum Credit Card review.
Jump bet on to offer details .
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card: Best for no annual fee travel rewards
- What we love about the VentureOne Rewards card: This card comes with an attainable sign-up bonus (20,000 bonus miles if you spend $500 within the first three months) plus a simple, low-cost way to earn miles on everyday purchases for no annual fee.
- Who this card is good for: The budget traveler who wants a no annual fee travel rewards card to start earning miles.
- Alternatives: Any of Capital One’s other travel rewards cards earn higher rewards rates, at the cost of an annual fee. If you don’t mind the cost of carrying one of the issuer’s other travel cards, you will definitely find more value in them.
Read our Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card follow-up.
Jump back to extend details .
Capital One Spark Cash Plus: Best for small businesses
- What we love about the Spark Cash Plus: Earning a flat 2 percent back on all purchases makes for consistent rewards on business expenses, so we love that it’s a no-hassle business card.
- Who this card is good for: Small-business owners looking to earn high cash back rewards without keeping track of bonus or rotating categories.
- Alternatives: The Spark Cash Plus is a solid choice, but there are business cards available that tout no annual fees with similar rewards rates like the Bank of America® Business Advantage Unlimited Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card.
Read our Capital One Spark Cash Plus Review. .
Jump back to offer details .
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best for fair credit
- What we love about the QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards card: It’s an entry for people with fair credit to earn rewards without shelling out a super-high annual fee or turning to a secured credit card. Plus, cardholders are automatically considered for a higher line of credit in as few as six months with on-time payments.
- Who this card is good for: People with fair credit who want to improve their score while earning modest rewards.
- Alternatives: While the QuicksilverOne is worth it if you have fair credit, you might be able to qualify for rewards with no annual fee if your score is on the cusp of good credit. We recommend its upgrade to the Quicksilver, which has the same rewards rate but with no annual fee.
Read our Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card revue.
Jump back to put up details .
Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best overall card for students
- What we love about the Quicksilver Student: Its 1.5 percent flat-rate cash back on all purchases and 5 percent cash back on hotels and rental cards booked through Capital One Travel (terms apply) is a rarity for student cards. You can also earn $100 when you spend $100 in the first three months.
- Who this card is good for: Students who want to earn substantial cash back rewards right away without too much hassle.
- Alternatives: There aren’t many comparable student cards, but if you’re a student that can handle rotating and bonus categories, the Discover it® Student Cash Back and SavorOne Student Cash Rewards cards will serve you well.
Read our Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card inspection.
Jump back to offer details .
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: Best for premium travel benefits
- What we love about the Venture X card: Compared to other luxury travel cards, its low annual fee makes it an affordable way to earn premium benefits and rewards on par with industry leaders.
- Who this card is good for: Luxury travelers who want to ball on a budget.
- Alternatives: It’s hard to find a true alternative to the Venture X, but if you really don’t want to cough up hundreds of dollars for the annual fee, then consider cards with low or no annual fees like Capital One’s other Venture travel rewards credit cards.
Read our Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card review.
Jump back to offer details .
Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card: Best for bad credit
- What we love about the Capital One Platinum Secured: It has a pretty low security deposit, even among secured credit cards, starting as low as $49. This makes it easy for people with little funds to start building credit.
- Who this card is good for: Anyone who wants to start their credit-building journey and needs a low barrier of entry to do so.
- Alternatives: If you can put down at least a $200 security deposit, the Citi® Secured Mastercard® might be a better choice because of it’s lower ongoing APR (23.24 percent variable). On the other hand, the First Progress Platinum Prestige Mastercard® Secured Credit Card has an even lower APR (10.24 percent variable) with the same security deposit requirements.
Read our Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card review.
Jump binding to propose details .
Capital One Spark Miles for Business: Best for business travel rewards
- What we love about the Spark Miles for Business: The unlimited 2X miles earning rate on all purchases can help businesses reap rewards on their spending and employee spending. Plus, Capital One’s list of travel partners boost the value of miles.
- Who this card is good for: Business owners and their employees travel occasionally for work.
- Alternatives: For no annual fee, The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express offers a similar rewards rate, but a $50,000 cap on 2X points, then 1X points. If your business spends less than that, then it’s a worthy and cheaper alternative.
Read our Capital One Spark Miles for Business revue.
Jump back to offer details .
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best for on-the-go-students
- What we love about the SavorOne Student: This student card offers exciting rewards rates on categories that students typically spend in—dining, streaming, grocery stores (excluding Walmart and Target) and entertainment. You can also earn $100 when you spend $100 in the first three months.
- Who this card is good for: Independent students with the income to spend meaningfully in the boosted categories to take full advantage of the cash back rate.
- Alternatives: Targeted spending can be difficult in the schedule of a busy student. A card like the Chase Freedom® Student credit card, that rewards all purchases with 1 percent cash back and $20 Good Standing award every account anniversary for five years is a solid alternative.
Read our Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card Review.
Jump bet on to offer details .
Capital One Quicksilver Secured Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best secured card for flat-rate rewards
- What we love about the Quicksilver Secured Cash Rewards: The fact that you can build credit and earn some rewards for no annual fee makes this card loveable.
- Who this card is good for: People with bad, thin or no credit who can’t qualify for non-secured rewards credit cards.
- Alternatives: The flat 1.5 percent cash rewards on a secured card is hard to beat, but the Discover it® Secured Credit Card may prove a worthy competitor. Its 2 percent back at gas stations and restaurants (on up to $1,000 per quarter, then 1 percent) are key earning categories that edge out the Quicksilver Secured.
Read our Capital One Quicksilver Secured Cash Rewards Credit Card review.
Jump back to offer details .
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One: Best for responsible students
- What we love about the Journey Student Rewards: This card instills responsible credit usage in students by rewarding a 0.25 percent cash back increase for every month they pay their bill on time—that’s an unlimited 1.25 percent in potential cash back.
- Who this card is good for: Responsible students who always pay their bill on time.
- Alternatives: There are other student cash rewards cards on the market that earn higher rates, like the SavorOne Student. However, the Journey Student card is fantastic for establishing and rewarding responsible credit card use.
Read our Journey student Rewards from Capital One review.
Jump back to offer details .
What is Capital One?
capital One is a full-service depository financial institution that offers personal loans, check and savings accounts, mortgages and credit cards. Established in 1994, it ’ south one of the relatively new fiscal companies, but offers industry-leading products and credit cards .
source : capital One Corporate information
capital One was rated the third-best recognition card issuer for customer gratification in the 2021 J.D. Power U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction study with a satisfaction score of 815 on a 1,000 item scale .
Pros and cons of Capital One credit cards
- Credit card variety: Capital One has a long lineup of cards designed for a variety of spending habits.
- Credit range: Whether you have bad credit or excellent credit, Capital One has a card designed to help you achieve your financial goals.
- Travel benefits: No Capital One cards charge foreign transaction fees, saving you 3 percent to 5 percent per transaction.
- Annual fees: Many Capital One cards have an annual fee, however some cards have it waived in the first year.
- Regular APR: Many cards offered by Capital One have a relatively high regular APR, so cardholders will want to avoid carrying a large balance.
- Competition: Capital One only offers one high-end credit card, meaning its competitors may offer more in terms of rewards and overall value.
Who should get a Capital One credit card?
- Whether you ’ re already a populace traveler or barely want to earn points and miles on casual purchases, there ’ s a Capital One batting order that will put you one footprint closer to your dream vacation with every eligible transaction .
- das kapital One offers a variety show of flat-rate credit cards to maximize your spend on everyday purchases and respective that allow you to capitalize on a selection of bonus categories .
- capital One accredit cards provide ample opportunity to get rewarded on eligible transactions at your darling restaurants while dining in, carrying out or even at the grocery store shop .
- das kapital One has a card for individuals in every degree of their credit rating travel and provides tools to put you on the right path to prove your creditworthiness and earn a higher citation specify over time .
- You can use a Capital One business credit calling card to earn valuable rewards and boost your bed line. Business credit cards much feature bonus categories tailored to modest businesses, such as internet services, office supplies, travel and din .
silent diffident if a Capital One credit tease is right for you ? Check out our Credit Card Spender Type Tool where you can get personalized recognition circuit board recommendations based on your credit score, spending habits and daily needs .
How to choose a Capital One credit card
capital One has a count of citation tease offerings, enough to suit the needs of about any cardholder. When deciding on a Capital One tease consider what its primary function will serve as a fiscal tool narrowing your choices will be elementary. Consider the adopt when choosing a Capital One card :
What’s your credit score?
capital One has options for consumers at closely every credit rating level, so about anyone can get a Capital One credit rating card. On the other bridge player, your accredit score will impact the specific Capital One cards you qualify for. If you ’ re looking to get rewards from your credit wag, consider that the most lucrative rewards cards from Capital One will be reserved for consumers with good-to-excellent credit. Take a attend at Bankrate ’ s CardMatch™ tool to connect you with credit cards that best suit your needs.
How will you use the card?
Where do you do the bulk of your spend ? Consider the answer before deciding on a Capital One citation card. Will you be trying to earn free or discounted travel ? Or are you looking to finance a meaning purchase ? Analyzing your answers should help you determine the perks and drawbacks of each card .
Can you stick to best practices?
While a Capital One citation card can provide a count of benefits when used strategically, it may besides lead to an increase in debt, a veto impingement on your credit mark or growing interest charges if you ’ ra not careful. Consider the following effective practices and, if you can, stick to them when deciding on a Capital One recognition poster :
- Paying your balance on time and in full each month. Paying your balances in full and on time helps you to avoid interest charges. On time payments will also be reported to the three credit bureaus, helping you to improve your credit score over time.
- Making your payments on time every time. Again, on time payments are one of the major influences on your credit score. Late payments will negatively affect your credit score, and usually cost you a late fee as well.
- Only charging what you can afford. Your credit utilization ratio is another one of the criteria used to determine your credit score. The lower your utilization ratio the more favorable impact it will have on your credit score. Try to keep your credit utilization ratio below 30 percent.
capital One ’ s refer-a-friend program lets you earn bonuses for each friend that applies and is approved for a Capital One card with your referral connect. The bonus you get is based on the merchandise you have. For example, we ’ ve seen Capital One Quicksilver cardholders get a $ 100 bonus for each successful referral ( up to $ 500 a class ). You can find out your bonus amount by signing into your account .
Capital One credit card benefits
From travel to cash rear to clientele cards, Capital One has a variety show of credit circuit board options for assorted types of credit scores. here is a summation of what else capital One has to offer :
Account management services
- Eno® Your Intelligent Assistant from Capital One allows you to keep tabs on your account with texting, balance checking options, transaction review and bill payment.
- You’ll have access to 24/7 customer service support.
- Capital One offers Proactive Account Alerts via email and text to keep you updated on account happenings.
Apps and digital services
- With the Capital One Mobile App, you can view your balance and transactions, pay your bill and more.
- CreditWise® from Capital One helps you monitor your credit for free, without hurting your score.
Downsides of having a Capital One card
- There are no high-end cards available from Capital One. High-end cards are more advantageous in terms of rewards and overall value.
- Some of Capital One’s lower-end credit cards have low credit limits to match.
The Capital One mobile app remains one of the top-rated finance apps on the market. It has a 4.8 revue score in the Apple app storehouse and a 4.7 review grade in the Google Play store, presently ranking in the top 10 release finance apps in both stores .
Capital One travel rewards program overview
The Capital One travel rewards course of study offers a decent sum of flexibility when it comes to earning miles. Capital One offers the Venture X, Venture Rewards and VentureOne Rewards as travel card options. Seeing as they aren ’ triiodothyronine co-branded cards, or affiliated with certain hotels or airlines, you won ’ t be limited to one stigmatize. Plus, you ’ ll earn a bland rewards pace for every purchase—no rotating bonus categories, no problem .
If you are concerned in transferring your points, Capital One offers many miles transfer partners, and now most Capital One miles can be transferred to travel partners at a 1 to 1 proportion. here is a number of some of the airline transportation partners :
- Air Canada Aeroplan
- Air France/KLM
- Cathay Pacific
- Emirates Skywards
- Singapore KrisFlyer
here are a few early perks :
- You can redeem miles for travel, gift cards or as a statement credit for travel booked in the past 90 days on your Capital One card.
- Redemption also includes spending on Airbnb.
Let ’ s break down Capital One ’ s travel cards, the Venture and the VentureOne using a few examples :
If you ’ re looking to earn change of location rewards on your everyday expenses, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a good pit. You ’ ll earn a flat 2X miles on every leverage. This batting order comes with a erstwhile bonus of 75,000 miles once you spend $ 4,000 on purchases within 3 months from report possibility, equal to $ 750 in travel. There is a $ 95 annual tip .
The Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card is the younger sibling to the Venture card. It offers no annual fee and a lesser rewards rate of 1.25X miles per buy .
If you ’ re good getting into the travel rewards game, this is a capital newcomer card. There ’ second besides a small bonus of 20,000 miles when you spend $ 500 within your first 3 months of account unfold, which is worth $ 200 in travel .
|Capital One Venture||Capital One VentureOne|
|TPG December 2021 point valuation||1.85||1.85|
|Spending example||$500 * 12 months * 2X miles* $0.0185 = $222||$500 * 12 months * 1.25X miles * $0.0185 = $138.75|
|Rewards structure||Unlimited 2X miles on every purchase||Unlimited 1.25X miles on every purchase|
|Welcome bonus||75,000 miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel * $0.0185||20,000 bonus miles when you spend $500 in the first 3 months from account opening (worth $200 toward travel) * $0.0185|
|First-year value||$1514.50 (including the welcome offer)||$508.75 (including welcome offer)|
How to get a Capital One credit card
then, you ’ ve decided you want a Capital One credit wag. here ’ s the work of applying for and getting a Capital One poster :
- Check your credit score. As with any card issuer, there are credit score requirements for each product. If you have at least a fair credit score 580 and above, there are several cards to choose from. However, having excellent credit over 800 will give you the pick of the lot.
- Look at prequalification. Capital One has a prequalification tool that lets you see which of its cards you might best qualify for. You can also use Bankrate’s CardMatch™ to get personalized offers.
- Fill out the application. Once you’ve chosen the best Capital One card for you, head to the issuer’s site and start the application process. You need to provide your name, date of birth, address, Social Security number, estimated income and your checking or savings account information.
- Get your decision. You’ll know quickly whether you’ve been approved or denied for the credit card. If you’re denied, Capital One is required by law to send you a letter explaining why.
Increasing your credit limit
once you ’ ve been using your card for a small while, you may wish to increase your citation specify. tied if your monthly bills don ’ metric ton come close to your credit limit, having a higher amount of credit available to you will better your accredit utilization, therefore raising your credit score .
In many cases, it ’ second adenine simpleton as asking — you can either call the customer service line or log in and fill out the request on-line. however, a few scenarios make accounts ineligible for a citation line increase with Capital One :
- The account was opened within the last few months.
- The card is a secured credit card.
- You’ve received a credit line increase or decrease in recent months.
If none of these situations apply to you, you may be eligible for a credit occupation increase. A history of on-time payments and low credit use will work to your advantage, besides. Capital One will request much of the same information you gave on your credit card application, like your total annual income, employment condition and mortgage or rent costs .
How we chose our top Capital One credit cards
Bankrate ’ s personal finance experts have evaluated the circus tent Capital One cards according to our 5-star rat system. The list of criteria for fink credit cards includes :
Whether the batting order offers cash back, travel points/miles or multi-purpose rewards for eligible purchases and the potential returns based on rewards rate ( 1 percentage cash back per $ 1 spent, 1 mile per $ 1 spent, and so on ) .
Perks and benefits
Whether the calling card offers extras such as retail discounts, gallop warranties on purchases, travel policy and fiscal management tools .
Whether the calling card charges an annual fee and if so, how much the tease ’ s overall value and benefits might offset the tip .
Whether the calling card has a sign-up bonus, welcome propose or similar sign-up incentive and how much it adds to the wag ’ s overall respect.
How the circuit board ’ s annual percentage rate ( APR ) compares with current averages as an indicator of cost and measure .
Foreign transaction fee
Whether the card charges a alien transaction tip for external purchases and how the tip affects the wag ’ s overall value .
Have more questions for our credit cards editors ? Feel spare to send us an electronic mail, find us on Facebook, or Tweet us @ Bankrate .