Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday, 7 ante meridiem to 10 post meridiem Eastern Standard Time .
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
- You may apply for an EIN online if your principal business is located in the United States or U.S. Territories.
- The person applying online must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, EIN).
- You are limited to one EIN per responsible party per day.
- The “responsible party” is the person who ultimately owns or controls the entity or who exercises ultimate effective control over the entity. Unless the applicant is a government entity, the responsible party must be an individual (i.e., a natural person), not an entity.
Step 2: Understand the Online Application
- You must complete this application in one session, as you will not be able to save and return at a later time.
- Your session will expire after 15 minutes of inactivity, and you will need to start over.
Step 3: Submit Your Application
- After all validations are done you will get your EIN immediately upon completion. You can then download, save, and print your EIN confirmation notice.
Apply Online now
Employer Tax Responsibilities Explained (Publications 15, 15-A and 15B)
publication 15 PDF provides information on employer tax responsibilities related to taxable wages, employment tax withhold and which tax returns must be filed. More building complex issues are discussed in Publication 15-A PDF and tax treatment of many employee benefits can be found in Publication 15. We recommend employers download these publications from IRS.gov. Copies can be requested on-line ( search “ Forms and Publications ) or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM.
We can not process your application on-line if the creditworthy party is an entity with an EIN previously obtained through the Internet. Please use one of our other methods to apply. See How to Apply for an EIN. We apologize for any troublesomeness this may cause you.
Read more: How to Apply for FAFSA – College Ave
Purpose of an Employer Identification Number
Employer Identification Numbers are issued for the determination of tax presidency and are not intended for engagement in any early activities ( for example, tax spleen auction or sales, lotteries, etc. )
Exempt Organization Information
If you believe your organization qualifies for tax exempt status ( whether or not you have a necessity to apply for a courtly rule ), be sure your organization is formed legally before you apply for an EIN. about all organizations exempt under IRC 501 ( a ) are subject to automatic revocation of their tax-exempt status if they fail to file a ask annual information return key or poster for three consecutive years. When you apply for an EIN, we presume you ’ re legally formed and the clock starts running on this three-year menstruation .
Example: Your organization applies for an EIN in November 2014 and chooses a December accounting period. Your first tax period would end on December 31, 2014, and your first gear return or notice ( if your administration does not meet one of the few exceptions to the annual report prerequisite ) would be ascribable May 15, 2015. You would be subject to automatic revocation of your exemption if you fail to file for the three periods that end December 31, 2016 ( return/notice due May 15, 2017 ) or for any consecutive three-year menstruation thereafter .